May 18, 2018 | Category: Announcement
TO: Faculty and Staff, Medford/Somerville
FROM: Jim Pearson, Medford/Somerville Facilities
Annual Electrical Power Shutdown Reminder — Memorial Day Weekend
- Saturday, May 26, 2018 from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Rain Dates: May 27 and May 28, 2017 from 6 a.m- 6 p.m.
Tufts Facilities Department will conduct a planned electrical shutdown on Saturday May 26, 2018 effecting select buildings (see list below) on the Medford/Somerville campus only. In the case of rain on Saturday, May 26, the work will be performed Sunday, May 27 or Monday, May 28.
The shutdown allows us to safely perform annual preventative maintenance on the main electrical grid and associated switching equipment. This year, some work involving the Central Energy Plant will be included. This work greatly enhances the reliability of the critical, electrical equipment on campus.
The following buildings will be impacted:
Carmichael Hall, Wren Hall, Miller Hall, Houston Hall, Olin, Cabot, Blakely Hall, Mugar Hall, Goddard Hall, Lane Hall, Hill Hall, Hillside Dorms, Bendetson, Packard, East, Eaton, Goddard Chapel, Tisch Library, Paige, Miner, Anderson/Robinson/SEC, Bromfield Pearson, Bray, Research (Psychology), Curtis Hall, Hillel, Braker, Lincoln/Filene, Dowling, Barnum/Dana, West Hall, Ballou Hall, Gifford House
Please note: Barnum/Dana, Ballou Hall, West Hall and the Gifford House will not have power from a generator during this shutdown.
Tufts’ Data Network will be interrupted in impacted buildings.
Network service will remain in operation during the shutdown to buildings not indicated above, as well as Tufts Internet service access off-campus, services within the Tufts Datacenters and Tufts Boston and Grafton campuses.
Please note, if you are in an impacted building:
- Indicator lights on telephones will be impacted in all buildings affected by the shutdown.
- It is strongly recommended to: Power off and un-plug all PC's, monitors, printers, refrigerators, room air conditioners and answering machines before departing Friday May 25, 2018. There is no need to un-plug Network Connections.
- Remove all food items from refrigerators.
- Laboratories with fume hoods must plan to remove experiments from the fume hood. Please contact Jim Pearson at X-73970 to discuss issues pertaining to the electrical shutdown.
Facilities is planning to provide stand-by generator to Miller Hall- (telecom room)
The following installed generators will operate if needed: Dowling Hall (Police Station), South Hall (Life Safety), Cabot Hall (Life Safety), Tisch Library (telecom only), Anderson Hall (critical lab loads), and DeWick MacPhie (life safety).
Please contact email@example.com for 617-627-3970 if you need additional information.