Beware of Phishing Schemes
- September 4, 2013
- All Faculty and Staff
- Dawn Irish, Tufts Technology Services
- At the start of each semester, Tufts Technology Services (TTS) sees a dramatic increase in the number of phishing schemes aimed at members of the Tufts community. Since even the savviest among us has been fooled on occasion, we’d like to remind you to be particularly vigilant to protect your Tufts username, Tufts password, and all personal information belonging to Tufts community members with whom you interact.
Beware of emails that:
• Fail to address you by your name or use generic salutations like Dear "Exchange User," "Email User," "Tufts Employee" or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Create some type of crisis that will adversely affect you (e.g., you have exceeded your email quota or your financial account is about to be shut down) unless you supply your username and password.
• Warn that you have already been the victim of a phishing attack and you must confirm your identity by supplying your username and password or other personal information.
If you suspect a phishing scheme:
• Delete the suspicious email or text. Tufts will never ask for your Tufts username and password via email or text, nor will any legitimate organization.
• Do not reply to suspicious messages or click links provided within them. These are almost certainly a mechanism to steal your personal information or to download malware onto your computing device. Nothing good will come from interacting with the message in any way other than to delete it.
Some phishing schemes are obvious, but if an email looks legitimate and you'd like to confirm its authenticity, please contact the TTS Client Support Center at email@example.com or 617-627-3376.
Tufts Emergency Alert System
In an emergency the university will attempt to communicate with the community through a variety of methods. Use of the latest available technology provides us with several ways to reach community members through public postings, information hotlines, and an Emergency Alert System integrating telephone, text messaging and email.